Zaynab Wilson draws from her Canadian-Trinidadian cultural and musical diversity to cultivate a style self-described as soul-folk. The music comes out as a bridging of rhythm, heart stories and soul. Since opening up and releasing as a singer-songwriter in 2018, Zaynab has performed solo across Canada, the USA and now Australia.
Born into a family steelpan band based in Montréal, Zaynab had exposure to influential music and performance experiences including the Montréal International Jazz Festival, Just For Laughs, and international steelpan competitions. This lead to her pursuing a Bachelor of Music from Humber College and over a decade of performing and touring as a drummer, steelpanist and percussionist with artists in Canada, Trinidad, Mexico, Australia, UK and Europe.
While the representation of her musical creativity expands, Zaynab remains open to the possibilities and opportunities that will bring together her worlds of community-bridging, the arts, education and travel.
- Sowing Seeds Intl Artist Residency Udaipur, India (January 2020)
- nookFest, Toronto, Canada (September 2019)
- This Is Me Tour: Beaver Island Music Festival; Sidewalk Detroit Canada/US (July/August 2019)
- Toronto Jazz Festival - Toronto Blues Fest Talent Search Toronto, Canada (June 2019)
- Sofar Sounds Waterloo, CAN (March 2019); Austin, TX (August 2019)
- Support Musician at: Woodford Folk Festival Australia, Beaches International Jazz Festival Canada, Hillside Festival Canada, Celtic Connections Scotland