Zaynab, a Canadian-Trinidadian globe-trotting multi-instrumentalist, openly embraces her creative and personal expansion through her dynamic style and passionate expression. She transmutes the raw material of her experiences and voice into songs that “quietens your spirit”. With a diverse musical input ranging from Bob Marley to Norah Jones, Esperanza Spalding and Billie Holiday, Zaynab’s output flows with elements of improvisation influenced by Jazz, Soul, R&B and Afro-Caribbean.
Born into a steelpan playing family band based in Montréal, music and sound flowed with diversity throughout the family home giving Zaynab rich cultural and musical roots to explore. In 2014, she earned a Bachelor of Music on drums from Humber College then continued to explore her musical dynamism through debuting her own project, MoZayic, and in supportive percussive roles with Jason Wilson, Alysha Brilla and other local and international projects. In 2018, Zaynab welcomed a new level of deepening with music when she released as a singer-songwriter and has since performed her original project across Canada, in the USA and Australia, receiving radio airplay on CBC and Australia's ABC.
Current project and artistic theme: Life Is/In Performance
- Sowing Seeds Intl Artist Residency Udaipur, India (January 2020)
- nookFest, Toronto, Canada (September 2019)
- This Is Me Tour: Beaver Island Music Festival; Sidewalk Detroit Canada/US (July/August 2019)
- Toronto Jazz Festival - Toronto Blues Fest Talent Search Toronto, Canada (June 2019)
- Sofar Sounds Waterloo, CAN (March 2019); Austin, TX (August 2019)
- Performed at: Woodford Folk Festival Australia, Beaches International Jazz Festival Canada, Hillside Festival Canada, Celtic Connections Scotland